Maxis have posted on their blog about modding in SimCity. They’re encouraging you to mod the game and get creative, but make sure you stick to the rules.
Maxis and Electronic Arts (“EA”) have a long tradition of supporting the creativity of our community. We’re so excited to see the new ground many of you are breaking with SimCity Modding that we wanted to do something that would make it easier for you to continue to create amazing stuff. We’re putting this policy in place to ensure that our guidelines on Modding are clear and that all of our players get to enjoy SimCity their own way while also maintaining the safety and integrity of the SimCity experience. What comes next is up to you, our players. We hope the SimCity Modding community continues to grow and we’re looking forward to seeing what you create.
What can I do?
We encourage you to create, redistribute, and consume Mods for SimCity, as long as you respect all of the rules and guidelines set in this policy (collectively, the “Rules”). By Mods we mean any modifications or alterations to SimCity, including add-ons, new content, modified UI, or updates that use content from SimCity such as code, art, footage or other elements (the “SimCity Content”).
EA grants to each owner of an authorized copy of SimCity, a personal, revocable, limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and non-commercial license to use and display the SimCity Content and to create derivatives based on the SimCity Content solely in connection with the Mod and conditioned on compliance with these Rules. Mods must not include any music files from SimCity. We can revoke this license at any time, for any reason, without liability.
Mods can be freely discussed and promoted on our forums. The Community-Created Content forum is a great place for this:http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/4227.page
But please remember that EA will not pre-screen Mods and your use of Mods is at your own risk. To help players understand this risk, Mods should include a disclaimer telling players of that risk in an easily viewable place like at the point of download or within a README file within the Mod. Please use the following text:
“Electronic Arts does not pre-screen, endorse or support SimCity Mods and your use of this product is at your own risk.”What are the Rules?
We highly value our community, other content creators, and the integrity of our multiplayer experience in SimCity. We want to make sure that SimCity Mods used will reflect those values too and we expect you to follow these rules:
- Mods must not jeopardize the integrity of the gameplay or harm the experience of others. Mods that affect the simulation for multiplayer games and multiplayer features, such as leaderboards or trading with other players, are not allowed.
- Mods must not infringe any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party and will not include content that is unlawful, tortious, defamatory, obscene, invasive of the privacy of another person, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, racist or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate. SimCity has an age rating of ESRB Everyone 10+ and PEGI 7, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. EA requires that Mods not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.
- Mods may not modify any .com, .exe, .dll, .so or other executable files.
- The terms and conditions of SimCity EULA and EA’s Terms of Service are specifically incorporated into this policy by this reference. In the event that the terms of this policy are in conflict with the terms of the SimCity EULA or EA’s Terms of Service, the terms of this Policy shall supersede and govern over any such conflicting terms.
- To maintain the integrity of SimCity and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, EA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to revoke permission to use, distribute or make Mods at any time, to disable any Mod within SimCity and to take disciplinary action against players who harm the experience of others.
What if I create a SimCity Mod?
We encourage you to create new content and other Mods for SimCity. If you do, we’d like the opportunity to promote or distribute it too, without further compensation to you. Or in the words of our lawyers:
Distribution of your Mod in any form constitutes a grant by you to EA of an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use, copy, modify and distribute that Mod (and derivatives of that Mod), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and through any means, and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit. You also agree to promptly execute assignments confirming this license upon request from EA.
Can I sell my SimCity Mods?
In short, no. We’d like Mods to remain free of charge. Once again, the lawyers say it best (or at least most precisely):
- Mods must be non-commercial and distributed free-of-charge at this time. Accordingly, Mods cannot be sold, licensed, rented for a fee, nor can the Mod Game contain features that would support monetary transactions of any type. Mods may not be used to advertise any goods or services
- Donations may not be solicited directly through Mods. However, EA recognizes that the time and resources needed to create Mods can sometimes be substantial. Accordingly, Mod developers are allowed to fund their development costs through donations outside of the Mod itself, subject to the following restrictions:
- Requests for donations shall be limited to the Mod website or distribution site and not appear within the Mod itself.
- Donors shall not be provided with any in-game special advantages, such as private access to a Mods, special levels, graphical markers, special text, abilities, units, etc. All users are to be able to play the same Mods;
- Corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, etc., donors cannot be listed in the credits section of a Mod; only individuals may be listed.
If you have any questions about this Mod Policy and how it pertains to a mod you’ve developed, please contact us through the SimCity forums athttp://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/4227.page.
Go forth and create!